The Avocado is awesome and alimentative. Being very nutritious they provide for many health benefits when consumed. See the blog at our sister site, NancylFitness.com, for more information about Avocados. Below are some yummy recipes:
Breakfast – Breakfast Egg & Avocado Tostada – 150 Calories per Tostada
4 corn tostadas
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. fine sea salt
¼ tsp. oregano
pinch chili powder
2 Tbsp. milk
1 to 2 Tbsp. Canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup diced bell pepper mix
½ cup chopped red onion
1 ripe Avocado, peeled and pitted
4 Tbsp. shredded pepper jack cheese
4 slices ripe tomato
Plain Greek Yogurt – garnish, Salsa – optional
- Place the tostados on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Cut avocado into twelve slices.
- Squeeze lemon or lime juice over it and gently toss. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, Canola oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add pepper and onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- When vegetables are soft, add the eggs.
- Stir to scramble, about 3 minutes, until done. Remove from heat.
- Turn oven broiler on to heat while assembling the tostadas.
- Place one tomato slice on tostada.
- Add ¼ of the egg mixture to each tomato slice.
- Top with three slices of avocado.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of cheese on each tostadas.
- Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
- Garnish with Salsa and Greek Yogurt, as desired.
Lunch – Tuna Avocado Salad – 4 Servings, Calories per serving: 160
- 1 large or 2 medium Avocados, peeled and pitted
- 10 oz albacore tuna, in water
- Lemon Pepper, to taste
- Using a fork, mash up the tuna really well until the consistency is even.
- Mix in the avocado until smooth.
- Add salt & pepper, to taste.
- May serve on toast or in a salad.
Dinner – Macaroni and Cheese and Avocado ~ 6 Servings
Calories per serving: 450
10 ounces dry elbow macaroni or other pasta, whole wheat
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium avocados, peeled and pitted
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ Cup chopped chives
Lemon pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
2 cups (reduced fat) shredded Pepper Jack cheese or Monterey Jack or White Cheddar Cheese or combination of all 3, depending on desired taste
Fresh avocado slices
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add pasta to boiling water
- Cook ~10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the avocado sauce:
- Put the garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro and Lemon Pepper into a food processor / blender.
- Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce:
- Place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a paste.
- Whisk in milk until smooth.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add in cheese and stir until cheese is melted, creating a creamy sauce.
- Place macaroni in a large bowl.
- Pour the avocado sauce over the macaroni and stir until well coated.
- Add the cheese sauce and stir until macaroni is coated and creamy.
- Season with Lemon Pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with the avocado slices.
- Serve warm.